Spring Cleaning Day 4: Light fixtures and lamp shades
When my grandmother passed away last year, we were surprised to discover that she owned over 20 lamps.
I own 2!
One on each of our bedside tables. I clearly haven’t inherited the lamp addiction my Nan possessed!
Depending on how many lights and lamps you have, today’s task might be a bit fiddly and time-consuming but it shouldn’t be difficult. Go through your home and dust all light fixtures, remove and clean any coverings and vacuum any fabric lampshades.
Remember water and electricity don’t mix. Never wipe a light globe or switch with a damp cloth!
How to clean lampshades
- Remove your lampshade from the light and give it a good dust.
- Vacuum thoroughly to remove any debris.
- Spot clean any marks with a fabric cleaner (remember to patch test).
- Clean all mental uprights and the base of your lamp.
- Once dry, reattach your lampshade.
Scotchguarding fabric lampshades is also a good way to prevent stains and keep them looking good for longer.