This is one of my fall back quick cheap dinner ideas. It is a really flexible recipe and you can add any pesto you like (I mostly use basil but you could use a chilli or capsicum pesto instead). You can make your own pesto (and freeze) or grab one from the shops. Tonight I used a premade one from Aldi as I didn’t have any in the freezer. The whole meal for 4 people comes in at about $5. Now that really is a quick cheap dinner!
- 500g of dry pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup pesto (roughly one small jar)
- 8 rashers of short cut bacon (or you can use left over chicken, ham etc)
- 1/2 a butternut pumpkin or a large sweet potato, cubed into 1cm pieces
- Cook pasta as desired
- While cooking, cube pumpkin or sweet potato and cook (either, steam, fry, roast or microwave)
- Fry bacon and slice into strips
- Once pasta is cooked, mix through the pesto, add bacon and pumpkin/sweet potato & serve!
You can add pine nuts for a bit of extra flavour.