This week my bulk lot of washing powder is running low and I’ve decided rather than buy more, I’m going to give the home made version a go! This guide to how to make your own washing powder is super easy with only 3 ingredients. It’s not only REALLY cheap but it is also free of all the chemicals you find in commercial powders.
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup washing soda (sodium carbonate) which can be found easily at woolies or coles and looks like this.
- 200g bar of plain soap, or two smaller bars (nothing fancy and antibacterial or extra moisture or smelly, just plain soap!) Something like this or this is fine!
- Grate up the soap (if you have a thermomix or other very powerful blender you could just cut it in quarters and then blend)
- Put grated soap into a blender and add the washing powder then blend until as fine a possible. You may need to do this in a couple of batches if your blender isn’t powerful enough.
- Remove from blender and combine in a bowl with the borax. Mix thoroughly so well combined.
- Store in a jar or container in the laundry.
Use 1-2 tablespoons per wash depending on how dirty the clothes are. It works in hot or cold water.
Do you have any other great home made cleaning product recipes? I’d love to see them!