No one wants to live in chaos, but maintaining a clutter free home doesn’t come naturally for most. Here are 7 quick easy tips to keep on top of clutter and keep your home tidy and organised.
7 Tips to keep on top of clutter
- Every time you leave a room to go somewhere else in your home, take something that doesn’t belong and put it away. If you get into the habit of doing this as you move around the house you’ll be amazed at how much less mess accumulates.
- When the mail arrives, open it, chuck envelopes and junk mail and file everything else. Either file it in a short term bills area or into folders depending on what your system is.
- Before bed every night, throw all dirty clothes into the laundry basket & clear the kitchen bench. These two things alone will help reduce clutter.
- De-clutter one SMALL area a day. I’m talking about 5 minutes of de-cluttering. Don’t go pulling the pantry cupboard apart. Perhaps just put one lot of pasta into it’s storage container and throw out 3 out of date items. Just 5 minutes a day on one small area. Baby steps.
- Make your bed. It’s totally psychological, but a neat, made bed sets the tone for the rest of the day.
- Chuck stuff. Yep, that’s right. Bin it. If you don’t use it, don’t like it or don’t need it. Chuck it. You can find some inspiration by reading my chuck it decluttering challenge or grabbing my decluttering eBook.
- Train the kids. Small children are like blenders without a lid. Try to teach tidiness by encouraging them to put away one activity or toy before pulling out the next. I saw this great idea for teaching tidiness. I’m not sure where the original image is from but I sourced this one here.
One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard was that clutter breeds clutter and tidy breeds tidy. It really is true. The more cluttered and disorganised your home is the harder it is to keep tidy and organised. Once you get on a role keeping the chaos in check, the easier it is.