With baby number 3 ready to arrive any day now, I’ve been thinking about some of the best gifts I’ve received from friends and family before and after the birth of my other kids. I’ve compiled a list of my favourite practical gifts for new mums, I hope you find it helpful!
Simple Practical Gifts For New Mums
Every new mum receives baby clothes and swaddles galore. If you’re looking for something a little more practical, here are some gifts that every new mum will truly appreciate. They might not be as cute as a bunny and romper but they will honestly make mums life so much easier.
New mums need to eat and drink… lots. With a needy newborn (and possibly other kids) all competing for your attention, looking after yourself often goes out the window. These are some simple ideas to help any new mum stay fed!
- Meals for the freezer
- Grocery deliveries
- Frozen smoothies (for when she’s starving but hasn’t got enough hands for a meal)
- One hand snacks (e.g protein balls, muffins, cookies etc)
Around The House
The housework generally goes out the window with a new baby. If you’re a new mum like I was, living in chaos was stressful. These ideas will help keep the house running smoothly even when mum is tied to a chair (& a baby).
- Hire her a cleaner
- Outsource the washing (or do it for her)
- Do the washing up for her
- Nappy service (if she’s using cloth nappies)
- Help dropping older kids at school
- Help caring for toddlers/preschoolers
- Your time for a coffee and a chat (or just to hold bub while she naps!)
Forget the cute outfits, go for practical necessities. Trust me, at 2am one night when baby gets his first fever, that gift of Panadol will be very very appreciated!
- Face washers
- Cloth nappy squares
- Gift vouchers
- Baby Panadol
- Baby thermometer
- Sling or baby carrier
- Baby jumper/bouncer (check out some reviews here)
The first week or two following birth is a delicate time for most new mums. Mix it up with a bit of pampering and some practicality.
- Breast pads
- Lanosil (nipple cream… it’s the BEST)
- Some pretty slippers for hospital
- A nice toiletries bag
- PJ’s for hospital
- A manicure/pedicure (while you watch bub)
- A foot massage voucher (those tired puffy feet need some TLC)
- An easy use drink bottle
- A Netflix subscription (she will be doing a LOT of sitting and feeding)
- A professional photo session
- Bottled sleep (ok, I’m not totally sure where you buy this from but it would be a seriously awesome gift if you can find it)